Wednesday, March 31, 2010

wood duck kayak

3/31/2010

My name is Lou and I am building a kayak. My good friend Ted said that I should start a blog to document the build. I have never blogged before so this is all new to me.

I wanted to find a new Hobbie that I could afford and one that I could do with my wife Donna. Kayaking was something that we could both do together and it is very low cost. We can play in the great out doors and get lots of exercise. Once you pay for the kayak the rest is free. No fuel to burn, no insurance to buy, no license to pay for every year.

My plan is to build three kayaks this year. one each for Donna and myself, and a third one to put up for sale. If I can sell one and make a small profit, then I will start a fourth kayak. If I can't sell one then I will have a kayak to give to one of my loved ones. As long as I can sell one without loosing money then I will start another. I love to work with my hands and I have lots of spare time.

I bought a set of plans for a CLC wood duck 12 hybrid. I have made router jigs for all the plywood parts. This will make it very easy to make the plywood parts from full sheets of plywood.

I rough cut all the parts for one kayak in about four hours. Now I am waiting for my epoxy to get here so that I can Scarf joint the long panel's together. When that is done I can finish the parts on the router jigs.

I will see if I can post some photos in my next post.

Lou

2 comments:

  1. Very cool, Lou! I can't think of better way for you to showcase your interest & talents!

    Cousin Eileen from Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Alexander from Ukraine. Is not difficult if you sell me or give free drawings - I'll be very grateful. eliktronik1@rambler.ru

    ReplyDelete